Seasonal Property – Detailed Information

Costs of cottage insurance can vary greatly depending on the property, location, rental status, prior claims, fire protection and heating types. Since cottages are often empty for lengthy periods of time, they’re more prone to claims of theft and vandalism. The remote location and distance from a firehall may result in a total loss. It’s important to ensure that you have the correct policy type and amounts of coverage to adequately insure yourself. Many companies will offer cottage insurance as an extension of an existing homeowner policy.

We offer insurance packages for year-round cottages, seasonal cottages, rental cottages, log cabins.

Depending on the insurance company and the details of your cottage, companies will usually offer one of three policy types: Comprehensive, Broad Form or Fire and Extended Coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage:

This is the most inclusive insurance coverage available, and is sometimes referred to an “All Risk Policy”. This would generally only be offered if the cottage is winterized, is visited year-round and has proper fire protection, such as being located within a certain distance to a firehall. It covers the building (dwelling), its contents for all risks except those that have been specifically excluded in the policy documents. An example of such exclusion would be a sewer backup – naturally excluded by policy. An individual can purchase additional coverage to ensure the removal of that exclusion, which will guarantee coverage for this type of loss.

Broad Coverage:

This policy provides comprehensive coverage on the building and named perils coverage on contents. “All Risks” coverage would be included, except for the named exclusions on the dwelling, and only coverage for spelled-out perils on the contents. Reading your policy documents is important, as cottages generally have more exclusions than a homeowner policy.

The named perils are generally:

  • Air and vehicle impact
  • Electrical current
  • Escape of fuel oil
  • Explosion
  • Falling object
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Riot or civil disturbance
  • Smoke
  • Theft
  • Transportation
  • Vandalism
  • Water Damage (limitations apply)
  • Wind and Hail

*this may vary from policy-to-policy.

Remember, not all companies have identical insurance options. Many use brand names with variations of coverage. Read your policy carefully.

Basic Coverage / Fire and Extended Coverage:

Some insurers offer a very basic coverage which is very limited in terms of what they will be willing to cover. The premium can vary greatly, depending on the location, situation and company offering the coverage.

Perils usually covered:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Falling objects
  • Smoke

*this may vary from policy-to-policy.

Not all companies have identical insurance options. Brand names may offer variations of coverage. Read your policy carefully.